Friday, May 11, 2012


OCEANNA

Oceanna is my Hoffman Challenge doll for the 2012 season. She is my own interpretation of the fish rider concept. The Hoffman challenge fabric is in the fish tail and fins. 
Oceanna is 18" tall and this year, due to my disqualification last year due to being 2" over the height limit, I carefully measured every element from the design stage to finish! 
Incorporated into the fish's design are appliques of coordinating purple fabric. Tail and fins have armatures and the fish has Paperclay face. The doll body  is hand dyed to suit the color scheme, and has the usual needle sculpted elements, face painting, and articulated hands. She holds a hand dyed shell in her hands. Free motion embroidery cover her legs and arms and hand dyed lace piece for her bodice. She is very firmly attached to the fish and base with several armature techniques and should stay put should she be chosen to travel. There is a chance she will not travel because I used the Hoffman challenge fabric in the fish and not the doll, if they choose to be picky.
The base is applied Apoxy Sculpt over a plastic cone, embellished with micro beads and metallic paints. 

11 comments:

Deanna Hogan said...

I love your doll, Patti. Haven't started mine yet, but will as soon as I get through a teaching gig next week.

Don't forget to send me photos for my Hoffman pages! blueheron61@charter.net

Deanna

Hobbygirl Dolls said...

I love this creation! The colors are so pretty and the design is unexpected. Thank you so much for sharing.

Judi W. said...

She's just wonderful! Love the feeling of motion and the expressions. Best of luck in the contest!

Linda Misa said...

Beautiful Patti, hope all is well with you. Xxx linda

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Patti,
I love your doll and the fish with a face is awesome. Good luck!
Hugs

Mary Ann Tate said...

Just beautiful:)

Cheryl said...

Awesome Patti. She is wonderful and so full of imagination. The fish is exquisite. Good luck in the judging. Extreme winner in my eyes

Clothmatters said...

As always Patti- Your work is exquisite!

Natalie said...

I Love her Patti!!! That Fish is great too. Best of Luck with ur entry. One of these days I'll enter this challenge-just never excited about the fabric selections :)... xoxox

Fran said...

She's beautiful. You did a wonderful job of creating her and the fish. Hope you win.
Hugs
Fran

Mariposa said...

you are such an inspriation to a fairy lover...I love this.
Kathie